The power to teach and inspire comes only from people who are willing to share and collaborate. I am fortunate to have worked with extremely talented people on this book who were very generous with their time. Without them, this book would not have been published.
First, many thanks to Jeff Shelstad, who encouraged me to share my enthusiasm and passion for sales, marketing, and teaching. It was Jeff who challenged me to develop the concept that selling is about getting what you want in life. He is an inspirational and supportive leader. His impact on the entire Unnamed Publisher organization is evident in the world-class people on his team. Thanks to Jenn Yee, the ultimate project manager. She is the person who kept this book on track, on target, and on schedule, with a perpetual smile on her face (and in her e-mails!). Thanks also to Sharon Koch, who took the book and made it come alive for the sales team and professors, and ultimately students, across the country. She is a delight to work with. My heartfelt thanks to the entire Unnamed Publisher team who dotted every “i” and crossed every “t” and made this book a reality online and in print. With over 150 links to videos, Web sites, articles, and podcasts, they had their work cut out for them.
My sincere thanks to the sales and marketing executives who shared their experiences and insights with me. Each of them helped provide additional dimension into the complex world of selling and what it takes to truly connect with customers. A special thanks to each of the selling executives featured in the video ride-alongs at the start of each of the chapters. They took the time out of their busy schedules to candidly share their knowledge and personal experiences on video for the benefit of the students. Their individual commitment to helping young people find their path is evident in the video clips that are used throughout the book and in the video learning segments that are included as an instructor supplement to this textbook.
- Paul Blake, Vice President of Sales, Greater Media Philadelphia
- David Fox, Founder and CEO, Brave Spirits
- Rachel Gordon, Account Manager, WMGK
- Priya Masih, Sales Representative, Lupin Pharmaceuticals
- Tonya Murphy, General Sales Manager, WBEN-FM
- Lisa Peskin, Sales Trainer, Business Development University
- Andrew Sykes, Pharmaceutical Sales Specialist, AstraZeneca
I also want to extend my gratitude to my colleagues at Saint Joseph’s University who supported me every step of the way. My special thanks to Mike Solomon for teaching me the thrills (and challenges) of being an author. Thanks to Mike for taking the time out of his writing, teaching, speaking, and traveling schedule to record some videos for The Power of Selling. It’s an honor to have exclusive video interviews with this renowned author and authority on consumer behavior included in this book. My appreciation to Carolyn Choh for taking the time to consult with me and connect me to pharmaceutical selling professionals.
All this effort would be irrelevant if not for the feedback from the faculty who reviewed the manuscript. Their comments truly helped shape the final product and made it immeasurably better. I appreciate the fact that each reviewer spent hours to review each chapter and provide concise and insightful feedback. I’m especially thankful for the suggestions about additional resources, which inspired the creation of the Power Tools feature in the Instructor Manual.
- Leon Chickering, South Puget Sound Community College
- Datha Damron-Martinez, Truman State University
- Dawn Edmiston, Saint Vincent College
- Robert Erffmeyer, University of Wisconsin–Eau Claire
- Douglas Friedman, Penn State Harrisburg
- Travis Hayes, Chattanooga State Community College
- Marvin Lovett, University of Texas–Brownsville
- Paul Myer, University of Maine Business School
- David Nemi, Niagara County Community College
- Mary Ellen Rosetti, Hudson Valley Community College
- Gary Schirr, Radford University
- John Weiss, Colorado State University
- Amy Wojciechowski, West Shore Community College
Finally, my thanks to students everywhere for being the true inspiration for this book. Their intellectual curiosity and quest to define their personal brand and role in the world is what motivates me to teach and write.